|SAGE’s website hurts my eyes a bit and it uses frames – I’ve included a direct link below, with the job description as it appears on their website. First, the job advert as it appeared on The Guardian’s website.
I don’t think this advert makes it clear if this is a science-related job, so it might not be, but SAGE publish a lot of academic journals, plenty of science ones too and of course “Science Communication“.
Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor, Peer Review
and http://www.uk.sagepub.com/careercentre/ SAGE is a leading international publisher of journals, books, and electronic media for academic, educational, and professional markets. We are seeking to recruit an Editorial Assistant or Assistant Editor (dependent on prior experience) to support our Peer Review Project Manager on SAGE track, our web based online submission and peer review system powered by ScholarOne Manuscripts???. The role:
* Reporting to the Peer Review Project Manager, you will work closely with our external journal editorial offices to provide support and implement site change requests on our live journal sites.
* You will additionally support the rollout of new sites (including requirements gathering, site building, providing demos and training, and tracking and maintaining our implementation status reports throughout the process to successful launch). The candidate:
* The ideal candidate will be a recent graduate seeking either a first entry level position in academic publishing or a candidate with some relevant prior experience seeking a next step in their early publishing career.
* Some knowledge of web based online submission and peer review systems is an advantage but not essential as training will be provided.
* You will be able to demonstrate that you are comfortable with web based technologies and that you possess strong administrative skills, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
* You will be a confident and effective communicator both verbally (the role will involve initiating and leading WebEx new site build demonstrations) and in writing both inside the company and externally.
* You will have an interest in academic publishing and new online publishing technologies. At SAGE you will be working with a diverse group of people who share a passion about fulfilling our vision of making SAGE the nature home for authors, editors and societies. We provide an environment that combines entrepreneurial energy with a commitment with treating people with respect. We offer support and good benefits, including company bonus, pension, permanent health and life assurance. —– SAGE’s website —– https://jobs1-sagepub.icims.com/jobs/2502/job
According to this website you can apply for the job online and it should take about 5-7 minutes, which is mythically fast as far as I can tell. Overview:
Post: Journals Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor (Peer Review)
Reports to: Peer Review Project Manager (Journals Editorial Department)
Head of Department: Associate Director HSS Journals 1. To support the Peer Review Project Manager in the roll-out of ScholarOne Manuscripts??? to an agreed budgeted number of journals annually
2. To support journals already using ScholarOne Manuscripts??? as and when queries arise
3. To support Journals Editorial Department and Journals Production Department in Scholar One related queries Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
1. Attends meetings with external and internal journal editors to demo and advise on ScholarOne Manuscripts??? in person and via WebEx
2. Assists in securing configuration requirements from editors
3. Assists in site builds, walk through training and testing
4. Assists in postlaunch support
5. Manages and adheres to agreed implementation timelines and reports regularly on progress Contacts
This position will liaise closely with journals editorial and production departments, and globally with SAGE???s US office. Degree of supervision
Commensurate with experience. The Journals Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor will work very closely with the Peer Review Project Manager and without the need for high levels of supervision. Technical competence
Knowledge of journal peer review and submission systems, preferably Scholar One Manuscripts???.
Very computer literate, understanding of technical details.
Specific ScholarOne training shall be provided. Personal Qualities
Pro-active, acts on own initiative, can juggle priorities, ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal, with both internal staff and external contacts essential Working conditions
The pace of work is often high and requires working on a large number of activities simultaneously within tight time pressures. The job may require occasional attendance at weekend conferences or meetings both within the UK and overseas and travel to Sage CA and Scholar One in Charlottsville, Virginia. Qualifications & Education:
PC literate (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Possible work experience in publishing. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Language – Reasoning – Analytical – & Mathematical Skills:
strong communication skills
able to work unsupervised
ability to work as part of a team
efficient with ability to multi-task
excellent organisational skills