|Watch out for the non-Senior version of this job coming up in a minute.
I have to confess to not being entirely clear when this closes, apols if I’ve gormlessly missed the date.
Senior Journal Development Editor
Posted: January 2011
BioMed Central, a leading open access publisher of more than 200 peer-reviewed journals, has a vacancy for a Senior Journal Development Editor to join its editorial team.
The main purpose of the job will be to optimise the publishing service and increase submissions for a set of journals within a specific biomedical area, through the execution of journal development work and by supporting our external clients. Communication is a key part of this role.
You will also manage and oversee the work of a number of Journal Development Editors.
- Be involved in optimising the publishing service and improving the reputation of the journals within the portfolio, and in increasing submissions and readership
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with Editors-in-Chief, Handling Editors, and society contacts
- Prepare and execute journal development plans, and oversee implementation of plans by Journal Development Editors whom you manage
- Provide line-management and training for Journal Development Editors working in the portfolio
- Prepare and communicate reports on journal/portfolio performance internally and to Editorial Boards
- Use market knowledge and developments in the wider scientific community to build relationships with external clients and identify new business opportunities and relationships
- Manage internal projects as required
- Be required to travel internationally
- A biomedical degree or equivalent
- Experience of scientific peer review and editorial/publishing processes
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and influencing skills
- Ability to complete allocated tasks and work to (often competing) deadlines
- A positive, can-do approach to problem-solving in both daily tasks and more complex troubleshooting
- Well organised, analytical and customer focused
- Strong attention to detail/editing skills
- A high level of computer literacy (including MS Office, Outlook and internet browsers)
- Interest in open access publishing
- Experience of working with senior scientists
- Able to represent BioMed Central at external events
- Prior line management experience
- Some experience of project management, preferably in a publishing environment
- Proven ability to prepare and give presentations to external clients
Please send your CV and covering letter, stating salary expectations and quoting the job reference (BMC/JD-SJDE) to: HR, BioMed Central Ltd, Floor 6, 236 Gray???s Inn Road, London, WC1X 8HB, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
BioMed Central Ltd is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.