Royal Society of Chemistry
Features Editor – Chemistry World
We're looking for a Features Editor to join the team at Chemistry World.?? You'll be committed to commissioning and editing topical and accurate features that inform, engage and entertain our demanding readers who expect their intellectual buzz to come from the content, and not from having to unravel the language. You'll also need a passion for science, a nose for a good story and a flair for turning a phrase.????
Day to day activities??????????????????????
- Overall responsibility for researching, commissioning, editing and writing features on a wide range of chemical science related topics to a high level of quality and accuracy.
- Build and use contacts – with members, the chemical industry, government departments, trade associations and the academic world – to source feature ideas for the magazine and website.
- Attend conferences, press conferences, visit companies and institutions, conduct interviews.
- Work with our Design team to create the cover of the magazine as well as generating ideas for images to be used with articles.
- Work with our Commercial Sales team in the production of the editorial calendar and to ensure a proportion of the features are attractive to potential advertisers.
- Participate in decision-making regarding the general direction, focus, scope and format of the magazine and website.
- Keep abreast of current developments and trends in chemistry, the chemical industry, science policy and matters relating to chemists, using this knowledge to contribute ideas for daily news articles, comment pieces as well as for feature purposes.
- Take responsibility for administration of Chemistry World podcasts as assigned.
- Take responsibility for additional pages in the magazine as assigned.??
Desirable skills and qualifications
- Science graduate with experience of writing and editing features, for print, broadcast or online.????
- Broad knowledge of developments in the chemical and life sciences, and a working knowledge of magazine and online publishing.????
- Experience of working with freelance writers would be advantageous.
- Self-starter, highly motivated and able to work well under pressure, to deadline and without constant supervision.??
Based in Cambridge, UK. Salary ??36,361 – ??40,401. Closing date 14 February 2012. Vacancy reference no. 12-15