To apply you need to go to the link and upload your CV and fill in your covering letter in the wee box provided. If you click and drag the bottom right of the box you can make it a bit bigger. Don't forget to type your covering letter in Word or Notepad or something like that first (just in case the system loses it). Also, you might not want to add bullet points to a covering letter but if you do a nice easy way is to use Alt+7 (the number 7 needs to be the NUMlock 7 in the keypad, not the one below the ampersand & symbol).
To support the whole IET corporate communications team in the UK and to promote the reputation of Europe???s largest professional engineering society through internal and external communications.
To support the whole IET corporate communications team in the UK and to promote the reputation of Europe???s largest professional engineering society through internal and external communications
35 hours per week exclusive of meal breaks
Main duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to the work of IET???s Press Office and internal communications function, devising proactive and reactive ways of raising the profile of the brand via the media and helping to inform members of the work of the Institution;
- To assist IET spokespersons to represent the Institution to the media, including the creation and management of official IET lines-to-take;
- Handle press enquiries quickly and professionally;
- Create and pursue social media opportunities for promoting IET???s activities, public affairs work and events;
- Research, write and place editorials, features, letters, or briefings for external distribution;
- Write and/or research speeches and presentations for the senior internal clients;
- Write and upload articles for IET magazines, the IET websites and the intranet;
- Set up photo calls, press events, briefings, press packs and attend as required;
- Work in collaboration with colleagues in Marketing when relevant;
- Maintain a monitoring and evaluation system of press coverage and engagement with internal communications platforms;
- Support the Internal Communications Manager and Media Relations Manager;
- Participate in an out of hours call rota;
- Assistance with databases and newsletters;
- Keeping minutes and actions recorded in team meetings;
- The post may contain occasional travel within the UK;
- To act as a Communications advisor to IET staff in the UK and abroad;
- To undertake any other duties and projects as requested by the line manager;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
- A relevant degree or equivalent experience in the fields of journalism or communications;
- Experience of media relations, public relations, communications or journalism;
- To have a demonstrated track record of success;
- The ability to present information clearly, accurately and to a range of audiences;
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills;
- The people skills to work directly with senior stakeholders such as government policy makers or the Chief Executive of the IET;
- Able to accept work from colleagues in the Communications team, and deliver results;
- Ability to plan, priorities and manage a heavy workload and a flexible and positive approach to problem solving;
- The ability write articles for various publications owned by the IET;
- An up-to-date knowledge and understanding of IT and its application in a communications environment;
- Excellent written English and verbal communication skills;
- The ability to handle competing demands from stakeholders and prioritise work.
- Experience of working with a multi-faceted organisation;
- Good news awareness;
- Awareness of developments in the energy, transport, manufacturing, ICT, or education sectors;
- Experience of media in the following sectors ??? IT
, engineering and technology;
- Experience of public affairs activity.