CaSE (Campaign for Science & Engineering)
Vacancy: Project Officer (??26k p/a, 3 month contract)
Central London. ??26,000 per annum, pro rata (??6,500 fixed-term 3 month contract)
Deadline: 9:00am, 30th August
The Campaign for Science and Engineering is the UK???s leading independent advocate for the STEM sectors. We are a charity with a track record of influencing policy and media at the highest levels, and focusing on the critical issues facing the UK. We want the UK to have world-leading research and education, skilled scientists and engineers, and innovative businesses.
Together with Nesta, we are campaigning for the multi-billion pound proceeds from the 4G mobile spectrum auction to be invested in science, engineering, and innovation. As well as promoting the role of science, this campaign would also resonate with calls for a proactive industrial policy to promote economic growth.
An overview of the campaign is available here:??http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/dec/08/4g-mobile-windfall
We???re looking for a Project Officer to be an integral part of this campaign. The successful applicant would help us research and write an authoritative report arguing for the investment of the funds, and then promote the report and broader campaign. We would look for someone to start as soon as possible.
Please email@example.com??for further details about the role. Information on how to apply is provided below.
- Researching industrial policy, research funding,??finance and venture capital, and other public policies to support science, technology, engineering, and innovation
- Assisting with the writing of much of the policy report
- Providing administrative support for events, communications, and media and Parliamentary follow-up with the campaign
- Liaising with Nesta and other organisations over the content and direction of the report and campaign
We are looking for candidates who have:
- A good degree in a science, engineering, maths, economics, or relevant natural or social science subject
- Experience of public policy research
- Excellent written communication skills, and ability to demonstrate a clear writing style
- An interest in research and innovation policies, and a familiarity with current political and policy trends in these fields
- Good time-management and project-management skills
- An ability to work under pressure and as part of a small team
- Strong web design skills would be an advantage
We regret that we can only accept full-time applications for this position. Salary and contract length are non-negotiable. Successful applicants are eligible for six days leave during the period of the three month contract.
CaSE is based in UCL office accommodation in Bloomsbury, five minutes??? walk from Euston and Euston Square stations.
Full details about CaSE, our work, and our communications to policy-makers can be found at??www.sciencecampaign.org.uk.
CaSE is a registered charity with four permanent staff ??? the Director, Assistant Director, Researcher & Administrator, and Member Liaison. Our work is overseen by our Board of Directors, who are also trustees of the charity.
CaSE welcomes applicants regardless of ethnic background, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, religious belief or lack thereof, or marital status.
How to apply:
The deadline for applications is??9:00am, Thursday 30th??August 2012. Interviews will be held on the following day, so please state if you won???t be available to interview on Friday 31st August in central London.
To apply, please email Imran Khan with:
- Your curriculum vitae
- A covering note outlining why you feel you would be suitable for the role, and the earliest date you would be able to start
- A demonstration of your writing and/or research skills from previous employment or education ??? this can be through an attachment or web link.
You should be prepared to discuss all aspects of your application at the interview stage.
You will receive an acknowledgement of your application. ??For further details, including questions about the role, please contact CaSE???s Director, Imran Khan;??firstname.lastname@example.org