European Geosciences Union
|Category||Interdisciplinary / Other|
|Employer||European Geosciences Union|
|Application Deadline||15 November 2012|
|Posted||23 October 2012|
The European Geosciences Union (EGU) is seeking to appoint a COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANT
The EGU (www.egu.eu) is a non-profit geosciences organisation dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in the Earth, planetary, and space sciences for the benefit of humanity, worldwide. The Union has more than 11,000 members, a General Assembly which attracts over 10,000 scientists each year, a diverse portfolio of 14 scientific journals which use an innovative open-access format, a number of thematic meetings, and education and outreach activities.
We are seeking to appoint a Communications Assistant to work with the EGU Media and Communications Officer in maintaining and further developing media-related and science information communications between the EGU and its membership, the working media, and the public at large. The position will be based at the EGU Executive Office in Munich, Germany.
- Assist with writing and editing activities related to the EGU quarterly newsletter
- Manage the official EGU blog, including writing, commissioning, and editing posts
- Administer the EGU network of blogs
- Manage the Union’s social media presence year-round
- Develop and maintain a new careers section on the EGU website, including a jobs and studentships forum, expert advice, and transferable skills opportunities
- Maintain and further develop EGU’s networking activities, particularly those aimed at young scientists
- Academic degree (e.g., MA, MSc, PhD), preferably in the geosciences or communication sciences
- Professional experience of online and social media platforms, including blogging
- Ability to understand and translate complex science into simple concepts and write about scientific research to general audiences in an engaging and accurate manner
- Good writing and editing skills
- Good team player with excellent interpersonal, organisational, and communication skills
- Expert command of English
- Some knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator would be an advantage
- Cover letter and CV, including links to current or past online Web presence (Web pages, blogs, Twitter feeds, Facebook pages, etc.)
- Two writing samples that demonstrate ability to communicate science to a wider audience (blog posts, magazine or newspaper articles, press releases, etc.)
- Contact details of two referees
The position, to start in January 2013, will be for one year initially with possibility of renewal. Remuneration is according to the German public service pay scale and can be up to E13 TV-L, depending on expertise and experience.
Informal enquiries about this position can be made to the Media and Communications Officer, Dr Bárbara Ferreira (email@example.com, +49-89-2180-6703). Applications should be submitted by e-mail in a
single file to Dr Bárbara Ferreira by 15 November.
Also advertised on Earthworks Geoscience Jobs.