Senior Press Officer (maternity cover)
To apply you need to create an account (no idea why but there you go!) https://vacancies.nmsi.ac.uk/Home.aspx?MenuID=kShPQyPKb6o=
Important note: This post is required urgently, so we may interview and appoint before the closing date. You are therefore advised to apply without delay if you are interested in the role.This role will be offered on a fixed-term contract to provide maternity cover until November 2013. The opportunity: This is an exciting opportunity for a talented Senior Press Officer to join the Press team in one of the world's most prestigious museums, the Science Museum in London. Our enthusiastic and committed Press team is constantly devising new, innovative ways to promote the Museum, its exhibitions and programmes. We create campaigns that not only win awards, but attract visitors and reflect the cutting-edge nature of this high-profile national institution. You’ll be able use your creativity and enthusiasm to the full – researching, structuring and managing Press and PR campaigns, building and maintaining strong relationships with the media, and proactively seeking opportunities to increase online and offline media coverage of the Museum’s activities. With proven journalism, PR or communications experience, you’ve got the writing, communication, planning, persuasion and “selling in” skills necessary to get first-rate PR campaigns up and running. Evening and weekend work will occasionally be required as part of your core hours. We offer excellent benefits. These include 25 days’ annual leave pro rata, BUPA dental and medical cover and a generous company pension scheme. This role will be offered on a one-year fixed-term contract. Internal applicants would be offered the role as a secondment provided their releasing department is able to hold their current position until their return. Application Instructions: please read carefully before applying
PLEASE NOTE: Previous applicants need not apply. Please ensure that you check your phone and email regularly since we may use either method to contact you.When you apply, you must upload a single document in Microsoft Word format which includes both your CV and a covering statement. Your covering statement must include your response to the five questions listed below. Please number each of your five responses individually in your covering statement. You do not need to write more than two or three paragraphs for each question. Before you answer these questions, please read the full job description (below) thoroughly. 1) Please explain why you would like to work at the Science Museum. 2) What do you expect might be the greatest challenges for the Science Museum Press Office, and why?
3) Please outline TWO examples of your most successful online and offline campaigns that have run and explain why you made them successful. 4) Please outline TWO examples of situations where you have used your excellent crisis management skills to protect the reputation of your organisation. 5) Please outline your team management experience and level of budgets which you have managed. NOTE: You may upload only one document to our system. If you have already uploaded your CV and covering statement when applying for any of our other jobs, then you will be given the opportunity to add a separate covering statement for this role, once you click on the "Apply Now" button. Please do not replace or delete any covering statement which you have already uploaded when applying for any of our other jobs.
Science Museum Group Job Description
Senior Press Officer, Science Museum – Maternity leave
External Affairs – Communications
Communications Manager, Science Museum
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The post holder will make a significant contribution to the realisation of our ambition
of becoming the best Museum Group in the world. They will work with the
Communications Manager to develop the on and off line PR strategy, driving the national and International reputation of the Science Museum and ultimately the Science Museum Group. They will take specific responsibility for developing an on & off line PR strategy and for the Museum’s issues management.
KEY DELIVERABLES /ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Work with the Comms Exec to develop and execute the Museum’s media
relations strategy. The strategy should be focussed on and off line media and
be innovative, creative and fully integrated with the whole communications mix. The outcome should be attention grabbing news and feature stories throughout the media.
2. Manage the Science Museum’s reputation proactively and when issues arise, taking appropriate action to provide senior staff briefings, announcements, Q and A documents and statements
3. To structure, manage and implement innovative and high profile on & off line Press and PR campaigns from inception to delivery.
4. Take a lead role in working with the Marketing, web and content teams to
ensure plans are integrated and on-message as well as managing the press section of the museum website
5. Work with marketing colleagues to develop effective and integrated campaigns which drive physical and online visitation, taking the lead as Campaign Manager when appropriate.
6. To build positive relationships withlocal, regional and national media
contacts, both on & off line.
7. To be responsible for managing the press social media platforms, blogs and Internal Communications for communicating news about the Museum.
8. Proactively sell-in stories to targeted media and manage reactive media enquiries.
9. To represent the Department externally as required and act as a press
spokesperson, where appropriate
10. To produce high quality media information (e.g. press releases, background
documents, briefings, speeches) and organise press events, visits, and media
line-manage three Press Officers and take responsibility for the delivery of their business and personal development objectives.
To work with the Press Officers to ensure the team actively monitors and evaluates the outcome of Press and PR activity (including media coverage) to produce campaign and monthly reports.
13. To carry out routine administrative tasks, including finance, required of the post.
14. To deputise for the Communications Manager as and when necessary
15. Manage campaign budgets and timing schedules ensuring that all activity is
delivered on time, on budget and compliant with Science Museum Group Finance guidelines.
16. Coordinate media training at the Museum and share your own experiences and
learnings with other Members of the Group comms team.
17. Take care of your personal health and safety and that of others and report any
health and safety concerns. Ensure proactive compliance with NMSI H&S
Policies, including risk assessments and implementing safe systems of work.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS & CONTACTS
The post holder will report into the Comms Manager of the Science Museum
Collaborate with colleagues across the Science Museum to develop high profile
campaigns and promotional initiatives and ensure relevant sign-off.
This will particularly involve colleagues in the Cultural Programme, Exhibitions
teams, Design, Learning but also colleagues from right across the organisation.
Work closely and share experiences with other Comms Team colleagues from
across the Group e.g. those in sister Museums, the Visitor Insight Team.
Press, Broadcasters, Bloggers and online influencers
Partners – Sponsors, Visit London, Visit Britain.
Agencies – Press, Media Evaluation, Freelancers
Line management and budget responsibility
Directly line manages: 3 people, one Comms Executive and two Press Offices.
Budget holder of: will vary from campaign to campaign, unlikely to exceed ??50k per
Solid grounding in on & off line PR, Press Office or journalistic environment
with proven experience of community management.
Practical experience of formulating and delivering integrated communications
campaigns and managing budgets.
Project management experience with a track record for effectively delivering
multiple projects at one time in a busy environment.
Track record of achieving significant results through digital channels.
Experience of working within a complex, matrix layered and multi stakeholder
Skills knowledge and relevant qualifications
Excellent written skills with the ability to produce high quality, creative, effective
and accurate written materials and Press information.
Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with journalists, bloggers and
Confident and articulate with strong analytical and strategic skills
Educated to degree level or with a relevant Comms qualification or demonstrated
Strong organisational skills and the ability to plan and prioritise complex and
competing workloads under budget, resource and time pressures.
A proven ability of managing budgets/financial management processes
Up to speed with the latest thinking in communications, paying particular attention
to the latest trends and innovations in traditional and digital media.
Exceptional team player with the confidence and integrity to earn internal team
Single minded, results driven with a track record of relentless delivery.
Creative with the ability to think laterally.
Highly motivated, solutions focused, identifies and deals with obstacles to
success, not deterred by setbacks.
Takes pride in delivering work of high standard.
Prioritises objectives and plans work, flexible and uses initiative.
Flexibility to work occasional unsocial hours.
Scope for impact
The main aim of the post holder is to deliver campaigns that will generate visits to the
Museum. In some cases they’ll deliver the campaign in its entirety e.g. the whole mix. However, for larger campaigns they’ll focus on the PR component only. They’ll be specifically responsible for the Museum’s issues management. This activity will enable us to meet our targets whilst enhancing the reputation of the Museum and the strength of the brand.
Visitor numbers – Delivery of budgeted visitor numbers will lead to us achieving
commercial targets and more positive relationships with sponsors, partners and
Reputation management – Protects and strengthens the standing of the Museum
to secure financial stability through visitors and other sources of income.
Brand – Delivery of a consistently strong brand underpins the successful delivery
of our business plans.
This job description is not exhaustive and amendments and additions
may be required in line with future changes in policy, regulation or
organisational requirements, it will be reviewed on a regular basis.
This role is subject to a Disclosure Scotland basic criminal record check