AAAS – American Association for the Advancement of Science
Associate Editor, Science Signaling (Req. #2094) (Full Time)
Location: Washington DC
The American Association for the Advancement of Science seeks an Associate Editor to join the dynamic editorial team at Science Signaling, the leading weekly research journal and online knowledge environment devoted to cellular signal transduction from the publisher of Science.
Do you prefer reading research and learning new areas of biology to working at the bench focused on a single protein, pathway, or disease? Have you used systems biology approaches to build or analyze cellular regulatory networks? Do you find that your interests lie beyond your current research project? If so, an editorial position at Science Signaling may be right for you.
Science Signaling, the leading weekly research journal and online knowledge environment devoted to cellular signal transduction from the publisher of Science, has an open position is for a full-time Associate Editor to work in our Washington, DC, USA office. We are looking for a self-motivated scientist with broad interests in the biological sciences and experience with cutting-edge research related to signaling pathways and networks.
The primary responsibilities include the selection of original research submissions, managing and updating the Database of Cell Signaling, as well as inviting and editing Perspectives and Reviews. Candidates should have broad knowledge of signaling pathways, have used systems biology approaches to study signaling networks, enjoy reading and learning new topics in biology, and be familiar with databases containing signaling-relevant information.
Major duties & responsibilities:
- Manages the peer review and selection of primary research manuscripts on cell signaling and related systems biology
- Solicits invited content such as Reviews, Perspectives, and Protocols
- Updates the Database of Cell Signaling
- Discusses and makes recommendations regarding manuscripts and journal content with other editorial staff and advisors
- Coordinates special issues
- Edits content and works with authors on revisions and preparation of manuscripts for publication
- Writes short summaries of published papers on a weekly basis
- Fosters contacts and communication with the scientific community through interactions with scientists and travel to scientific meetings
- Extensive university or college-level training leading to a Ph.D. in the biological sciences, with experience in cell signaling pathways and networks
- Postdoctoral experience resulting in multiple publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Ability to work independently, as well as, constructively as a member of the editorial team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Previous editorial experience or experience in database curation is a plus