Places in Scotland that might employ science communicators, or provide information about jobs.
I don’t live in Scotland so don’t know what the job market is like there. I’ve typed up all the places I know about, supplemented with a search on Google for other sciencey places and then following the trails that those search results led me on.
Hopefully this list will help people find other places, or categories of places – and hopefully they’ll also tell me what I’ve missed, jo dot brodie at gmail dot com – thanks!
Networks / jobs boards
Edinburgh Beltane Public Engagement Network – the Beltane network is one of several Beacons of public engagement-ness around the UK. More information about it, and the entire UK beacons, at the National Co-ordinating Centre for Public Engagement (NCCPE) – there is an Opportunities page and a Jobs board page, see also their Events.
All the other places that advertise science communication jobs in the UK will obviously list Scotland scicomm jobs too, including this blog. ABSW and Stempra aren’t free, I think the others are (for users, British Science Association’s jobs board might be pay-to-advertise).
- ABSW (Association of British Science Writers)
- BIG (British Interactive Group) Jobs list Career advice Mailing list (free)
- British Science Association’s Job board
- psci-com mailing list (free )
- Stempra (Sci, Tech, Eng, Maths/Med PR Association)
- Plenty of medical charities have regional offices in Scotland (or are based there).
BBC Scotland Careers – journalism / science programming / online stuff
I don’t know anything about science correspondents in the larger local newspapers but if anyone does… 🙂
NHS Scotland Recruitment (I’m assuming many of these jobs won’t be scicomm but those patient information leaflets don’t write themselves… it may be that a medical writing agency would field writers for this sort of thing).
Royal Colleges and Societies
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow • Staff vacancies
- Royal College of Physcians of Edinburgh • Vacancies
- Royal Society of Edinburgh • Vacancies
No idea if these do employ science communicators but they might. Other suggestions welcome.
- Coats Observatory, Paisley – doesn’t seem to have its own website but does do planetarium shows and observatory tours
- Galloway Hydros Visitor Centre at Tongland Power Station, Dumfries and Galloway
- Glasgow Science Centre • Working with us • Current vacancies
- Mills Observatory, Dundee
- Museum of the University of St Andrews • didn’t find vacancies page, see Staff though. They’re doing an exhibition next Spring on the science of sound.
- National Museums Scotland • Job vacancies
- Our Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh – Working with us – Vacancies
- Robertson Museum and Aquarium (Millport’s University Marine Research Station), Millport, Cumbrae – it closed in Oct 2013 and will re-open in 2014
- Satrosphere Science Centre, Aberdeen – Employment
Universities in Scotland
Aberdeen • Jobs
Abertay Dundee • Jobs / Job board
Dundee • Jobs / recruitment
Edinburgh • Vacancies
Edinburgh Napier • Vacancies
Glasgow • Jobs / Current vacancies
Heriot-Watt (Edinburgh) • Job opportunities
Highlands and Islands • Jobs
Queen Margaret (Edinburgh) • Vacancies
Robert Gordon (Aberdeen) • Jobs
St Andrews (Fife) • Job vacancies
Stirling • Jobs at Stirling
Strathclyde • Current vacancies
West of Scotland (Ayr, Dumfries, Hamilton, Paisley) • Jobs