CaSE (Campaign for Science and Engineering)
Part time: 0.6 FTE (3 days per week) – negotiable
London Living Wage: £800 per month at 0.6 FTE (equivalent £1,335 per month pro rata)
The Campaign for Science and Engineering (CaSE) is the leading independent advocacy group for science and engineering in the UK. We campaign on behalf of our members from across the science and engineering community, in industry and academia, to raise the profile of science and engineering in politics and government. We have a track record of successfully influencing politics and the media at the highest levels to campaign for better policies for science and engineering. We want the UK to have world-leading research and education, skilled scientists and engineers, and innovative businesses.
We’re looking for someone to support our team on a fixed, short-term contract as a paid intern. The successful candidate will provide vital administration and communications support during an exciting and busy period for CaSE as we prepare for the 2015 General Election. The intern will be responsible for diary management, contacts management and communications support.
This work will enable CaSE to improve our engagement with our members and partners in the science and education policy sectors, and maximise the impact of our substantial output through better communication with leading scientists, engineers, politicians and journalists. It will enable CaSE to do more and work better by making the most of our most valuable asset: our contacts. There will be opportunities for interns to widen their experience of science policy and develop their skills for example through political monitoring, writing for our blog and supporting our policy events.
CaSE is a small organisation with big impact. It is fast-paced, fun, and operates at the highest levels of politics, business, academia and the media. Everyone at CaSE gives their all and we look to our intern candidates to do the same. In return, our interns benefit from the opportunity to experience everything we do first-hand and make a big contribution to a small team. We encourage our interns to develop as much as they can in an environment with unrivalled access and opportunity.
Please email CaSE Director, Dr Sarah Main, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Information on how to apply is provided below. The deadline for applications is 5pm on 6th of January 2014.
Interviews will be held the week beginning 13th January. We’re looking for someone who can start by the beginning of February.
- Diary management: setting up meetings with our members and collaborators; following up leads to arrange meetings with potential new members of CaSE
- Contacts management: refreshing contact details and updating all new contact details with our members and collaborators
- Communications support: updating our website to keep information fresh and up to date (e.g. on events, consultations and jobs); tweeting for CaSE and keeping our twitter account active (16,000 followers); managing our programme of blogs by inviting contributions
- Maximising impact: making the most of CaSE’s considerable output by ensuring that CaSE communications and engagement with members celebrate and reflect what we’ve achieved
- Events support: providing administrative support for our pre-election science policy events series and parliamentary engagement
- Development opportunities: interns will have the opportunity to broaden their science policy skills by undertaking additional work e.g. political monitoring, writing for our blog
We are looking for candidates who:
- Have a demonstrable interest in science policy, and the politics around science
- Are comfortable dealing with high office and will be a good ambassador for CaSE when engaging with our members and collaborators through their personable style, courtesy and professionalism
- Enjoy and are good at organisation
- Understand the importance of and are good at keeping records accurate and up to date
- Take the initiative to make work processes as efficient as possible
- Will pitch in to help with any aspect of work in a small organisation that they can
- Good time-management skills
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, work well under pressure and as part of a small team
- Are familiar with web-based communications and use of social media for professional communications (ability to use Word Press would be an advantage)
- A degree in a science, engineering, maths, social science, or other relevant subject
Successful applicants are eligible for six days of leave during the period of the three month contract. We will endeavour to be flexible should you need to attend job interviews during your employment with us, and you will have a two week notice period.
Please note that CaSE will be recruiting other interns later in the year.
Full details about CaSE, our work, and our communications to policy-makers can be found at www.sciencecampaign.org.uk.
CaSE is a registered charity with four permanent staff – the Director, Assistant Director, Researcher & Administrator, and Member Liaison. Our work is overseen by our Board of Directors, who are the trustees of the charity.
CaSE welcomes applicants regardless of ethnic background, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, religious belief or lack thereof, or marital status.
The deadline for applications is 5pm, 6th January 2014. To apply, please email Dr Sarah Main at email@example.com with:
- Your curriculum vitae
- A covering letter outlining why you want the job, why you think you would be good at it, what experience you have and why it’s relevant. Please include attributes or skills beyond those specified that you think would benefit the organisation and explain why.
- The names and contact details of two referees
- The earliest date you could start
- Please tell us if you would like to discuss a different working arrangement than the 3 days per week, 3 month contract advertised
Interviews will be held during the week commencing 13th January, in central London.
You will receive an acknowledgement of your application by the 7th of January.