In case you don’t know, the AMRC is the Association of Medical Research Charities… there’s also a Public Affairs Officer post being advertised simultaneously (see next post).
Head of Policy and Public Affairs
Salary on application
Closing date 25 January 2016.
A position of Head of Policy and Public Affairs is now available to lead on developing and implementing policy on behalf of members to key stakeholders.
Reporting directly to AMRC’s Chief Executive, you will coordinate AMRC’s policy and public affairs networks and ensure that their policy and public affairs activities support their member charities, large and small. You will have line management responsibility for two staff and be a member of the AMRC’s senior management team. With a background in policy and public affairs, you will have a track record in policy development, be used to influencing politicians and senior executives, and have an ability to work across complex issues affecting medical research charities with ease. Previous experience in a membership or health and science body would be desirable but not essential. This role would suit someone with managerial experience who is seeking to take on the challenges of a senior management position.
As Head of Policy and Public Affairs you will be responsible for the following:
- Lead major policy and public affairs activities and projects on areas of critical interest to the members
- Develop and use the evidence base and the patient voice to underpin proactive and reactive policy work
- Scan the policy horizon for key developments and help legislative development in the UK, devolved and EU parliaments
- Conduct strategic policy analyses and develop policy positions that are grounded in the views of members
- Represent the collective charity voice in key policy debates, including identifying and responding to relevant consultations and/or co-ordination of members’ responses
- Manage the policy and public affairs team – team of 2
- Develop strong networks with key individuals at all levels across the sector to support, inform and amplify the organisations work
- Manage two active, information-sharing, policy and public affairs networks (UK wide)
- Oversee the organisations activities in the the All-Party Parliamentary Group
- Lead on the organisations proactive and reactive media activity.
- Deliver effective member and stakeholder communications at relevant events, writing for the website, blog and e-newsletter, writing and maintaining policy editorial content
- Plan and deliver one-off policy and public affairs meetings for members on topics of shared interest and importance
How to apply
For more information contact David Milligan or Geraldine Hetherington at Ellwood Atfield on 020 7340 6491. To apply for this position click here. Please forward a copy of your cv via the ‘Apply’ Button quoting reference JO-1512-3243 in the subject line of your application.