Plymouth Marine Laboratory
£19,974 – £29,962 (Pay Award Pending)
Full-time; open-ended appointment
Closing Date: 15/02/2019
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual with demonstrable experience in communication of environmental science to join a team of communication specialists in a world-leading marine research organization.
Promote the PML Group both externally and internally primarily through the creation of articles, press releases and news stories on the PML website, through social media channels, our eNewsletter and other outlets with target audiences such as government, policymakers/advisors, industry, environmental regulators, environmental science community, funders. Manage PML Group’s social media presence, ensuring promotion of PML Group, engagement with audiences, and evaluation.
You will be working as a member of a small Communications Team, within a busy working environment, and liaising with a much larger number of people across the organization and externally.
- Promote the PML Group externally through creation of news articles and press releases by (1) primarily researching new scientific publications from PML scientists, teasing out a “hook” or story, and “translating” complex scientific concepts into copy for a non-specialist audience and (2) writing news articles and press releases to cover corporate activities. Monitor media coverage to assess success. Liaise with media, acting as primary point of contact for external enquiries. Maintain and develop PML’s press database.
- Manage PML Group’s social media, generating content, increasing audience engagement and followers, and monitoring success. Manage MarineRipple Twitter Feed for the UK Marine Science Co-ordination Committee.
- Promote PML Group externally through (1) production of quarterly e-newsletter and monitor success of articles through use of appropriate analytics; (2) creation of articles for other organizations’ newsletters or appropriate outlets; (3) occasional involvement in outreach events, including production of materials, as appropriate, and digital promotion.
- Act as editor of PML News (internal newsletter).
- Update PML website with latest information, including high profile visits to PML, (taking photographs as required), events, etc., and link to social media.
- Curation of PML’s photo-library.
Experience & Eligibility Requirements
You must have
- Either scientific background with experience or keen interest in science communication, or (science) communications/media/journalism background with keen interest in and demonstrable passion for environmental science and communication of science.
- Excellent written and oral skills; ability to distill complex information into accessible copy.
- Good organisational skills; methodical; good interpersonal skills; an eagerness to learn new skills; pro-active, with an ability to manage your own time.
- Experience in Microsoft Office and good general IT skills; proficiency in social media; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite would be advantageous
- Good team player
- Preferably you will have first degree in science/science communication/media/journalism or related field, and at least 1 year’s relevant work experience.
Applications to be submitted by: Friday 15th February 2019
Interviews will take place on Tuesday 12th March 2019