University of Copenhagen / Københavns Universitet
Strategic Communication Officer
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
We are looking for a highly motivated and independent Strategic Communication Officer to develop and implement a communication strategy for the Center to commence as soon as possible.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (CBMR) was established in 2010 to conduct fundamental research on metabolism. It is part of the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen. The Center has around 200 employees from all over the world. We moved into new laboratories, offices and meeting rooms in the Maersk Tower in summer 2017. You can read more about us at http://cbmr.ku.dk.
Medical Museion is a university medical museum combined with an interdisciplinary research group, working together to engage diverse audiences with health and medical sciences in their cultural, historical, and philosophical context. CBMR’s scientific research touches on fundamental questions about human nature; and Medical Museion’s starting point is that metabolic research is an integral part of our culture and common history. We produce exhibitions, events, and online communication; continue to expand the museum’s collections, and support communication training and public debate.
The Strategic Communication Officer will develop and implement a communication strategy for the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (CBMR), in dialogue with the Center’s Program for Metabolic Science in Culture based at Medical Museion, and in co-operation with the Faculty’s communication team.
The candidate will be responsible for promoting knowledge of the Center in an international context, with a focus on the scientific world but also collaborating with the Faculty’s communication team and Medical Museion to bring Center science and scientists into the public sphere.
Developing an effective communication strategy will require getting to know the Center’s research areas and building relationships with both senior and junior scientists, helping to cultivate an internal Center identity that also looks outward towards societal participation. The role will also be involved in internal communication, helping to build a thoroughly integrated Center with meaningful connections between programs, platforms etc.
The Strategic Communication Officer will thus sit part-time in the Center administration, and part-time at Medical Museion as part of a wider multimedia communications team. All members of this team need to combine daily maintenance of a communication environment with innovative, creative thinking about future strategy. Flexibility and collaboration are thus central.
- Strategic: Develop an evolving strategic communication plan for CBMR, in an international context
- International promotion: Promote international knowledge of CBMR, in part through developing website content about the scientists and ongoing work of the Center
- Center branding: Work with Center leadership to build on the existing mission statement and branding, grounded in the interdisciplinary synergy at the heart of the Center. This branding work will also be connected to Medical Museion’s own public-facing brand
- Internal identity and communications: Develop internal communications that transmit this vision of the Center, promoting a strong sense of internal identity; and further work with Center scientists and the administration to install an open, collaborative and ideas-led culture
- Connect scientists to public contexts: Develop knowledge of the Center programs and scientists, keeping track of upcoming research with media relevance and scientists with communication skills. Work with Center scientists to promote conferences & other events, exploring innovative opportunities for media coverage and ‘public aspects’
- Training and nurturing: Survey Center needs & aspirations for public communication and work with Faculty’s communications team to develop training
- Editing and writing: Assist with text editing and writing for internal and external communications of all kinds, working closely with Center and Program leadership
We expect that you have run strategic communication projects, and worked to promote institutional identity and outputs. This could be from a scientific research centre or university, but might also be from the industry, funding bodies, publishers, or similar. You should have experience/interests in both biological sciences, and in science communication. This role does not initially involve line-managing other staff, rather it requires the ability to make connections, collaborate effectively with an interdisciplinary communications team, and guide scientists in their communication on an international stage.
- Experience in strategic communication is a must, preferably in research environment
- Experience with using communications to build external brands and/or internal identity
- Ability to write and edit effective texts, for ranges of audiences with varying expertise. Interest or experience in other communication media such as podcasting or photography is a bonus
- An undergraduate degree or a master in biology or biomedical science is desired, though similar knowledge could be demonstrated through experience. Above all, you must have the curiosity and ability to continue to learn about metabolic science and understand the work of Center scientists
- Excellent networking, and presentation skills
- Great people skills
- Native or academic-level English, and international experience
Place of employment
The place of employment is the Center Administration, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Maersk Tower, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen. We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in a dynamic and international research environment.
Terms of salary and employment
The employment as “Strategic Communication Officer“(AC-TAP AS) is a full time and permanent position. Starting is as soon as possible or after agreement. Employment will be in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations). The monthly salary will be based on the number of years of work experience (seniority) with the possibility to negotiate a salary supplement based on prior experiences and qualifications.
For further questions about the job description and qualifications, please contact Head of Administration Helle Hald at email@example.com, or Associate Professor Louise Whiteley at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the recruitment procedure, please contact SUND HR CBMR at email@example.com.
Your application in English should include:
- Motivation letter (max one page)
- Curriculum vitae (max 2 pages)
- List of publications
- A certified/signed copy of certificate(s) of education
Please submit your application by clicking on the red “Apply” button on the right hand side of the vacancy page (linked above) or go here. Only online applications will be accepted.
Application deadline: 12 April 2019 at 23.59 CET.
We reserve the right not to consider material received after the deadline, and not to consider applications that do not live up to the abovementioned requirements.
The University of Copenhagen wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.